Super easy purple and green Chinese cabbage salad recipe with Ramen noodle sauce packet dressing. It’s crunchy, delicious, takes less than 10 minutes to make, affordable and healthy.
How to make purple and green Chinese cabbage salad?
- Cabbages: purple and green. I used a blend of colors in this recipe but you can also just use one color. You only need about 1/2 of a small head of each.
You can also substitute them with Napa cabbage, or iceberg lettuce. They all taste good.
- Green onions: Elevate the flavor of the cabbages and gives them heat.
- Cilantro: to boost the flavor.
- Slivered almonds: For crunchiness, nuttiness, and protein. You can also use other kinds of nuts such as peanuts or sunflower seeds.
- Ramen noodle sauce packet dressing: only takes a few seconds to make and it’s so delicious. This dressing will make you fall in love with this cabbage salad.
- Tortilla strips: instead of using ramen noodles, we are using tortilla strips because it’s healthier and for me personally tastes better.
Begin by thinly slicing the cabbage heads and the other vegetables.
Combine green cabbage, purple cabbage, green onions, cilantro, and almonds in a large bowl.
To make the dressing: In a blender, add balsamic vinegar, oil, sesame seeds, soy sauce, ramen noodle sauce packet, sugar, chili flakes, and black pepper, then blend for a few seconds. The sesame seeds will become pureed in the blender but don’t worry, that gives the dressing a delicious nutty flavor that is so addictive. You can also mix the dressing by hand, but the sesame seeds will not get pureed.
Pour the dressing over the salad mixture a little at a time, and mix well. Continue to add more dressing until you have reached the desired amount. Season with salt if needed. You can eat immediately or let it soak for a while. Sprinkle the tortilla strips on top when you are ready to eat so it will not get soggy.
Serve and enjoy!
If you want healthy food, this purple and green Chinese cabbage pairs really well with these healthy and easy-baked potato croquettes.
You can also serve this salad recipe with this African-style sauteed chicken with tomato sauce; they make the perfect combination.
Purple and Green Cabbage Chinese Salad
- 1/2 Purple cabbage head
- 1/2 Green cabbage head
- 1/4 Cup Green onions Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Fresh cilantro Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Slivered almonds
- 1/3 Cup Tortilla strips Optional
- Salt To taste
- 1 Ramen noodle chicken flavor sauce packet
- 1/3 Cup Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Sesame seeds
- Chili flakes To taste (Optional)
- 1/2 Tsp Black pepper To taste (Optional)
- Combine green cabbage, purple cabbage, green onions, cilantro, and almonds in a large bowl. Add vinegar, oil, sesame seeds, soy sauce, ramen noodle sauce packet, sugar, chili flakes, and black pepper in a blender. Blend for a few seconds until it's blended. Pour the dressing over the salad mixture a little at a time, and mix well. Continue to add more dressing until you have reached the desired amount. Season with salt if needed. You can eat immediately or let it soak for a while. Sprinkle the tortilla strips on top when you are ready to eat so it will not get soggy.Serve and enjoy!
Why this purple and green Chinese cabbage is good for you
According to healthline.com, “Cabbage is an exceptionally healthy food. It has an outstanding nutrient profile and is especially high in vitamins C and K. In addition, eating cabbage may even help lower the risk of certain diseases, improve digestion, and combat inflammation. Plus, cabbage makes a tasty and inexpensive addition to a number of recipes. With so many potential health benefits, it is easy to see why cabbage deserves some time in the spotlight and some room on your plate.”
I like cabbages because it’s so versatile, you can use it to make so many kinds of dishes, including stews, soups, salads, slaws or sauerkraut. They last a long time in the fridge, and they are so cheap. They’re perfect if you want to save money on food.
Make ahead and storage tips
To make ahead: Chop all the vegetables and put them in a ziplock bag separately if you are not sure if you are going to use all of them immediately. And store them in the refrigerator. You can also make the dressing ahead of time and store it in a separate container and put it in the refrigerator.
To store: Place the cabbage salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Do not add the tortilla strips because they will get soggy and the salad will not taste good. Once the salad is dressed, it can last in the fridge for up to 3 or 4 days. It will last longer if the salad is not yet dressed.
The ramen noodle sauce packet salad dressing can last a long time in the fridge if you store it separately in an airtight container. It goes very well with other dishes too.